We are a sustainable food growing community in Haggerston Park.
The Haggerston Orchard is designed and operates using permaculture principals. Permaculture comes from the words permanent and agriculture.
The community explores interactions between plants, people and landscape.
Through food growing we are encouraging healthy and active lifestyles, social interaction between park users, opportunities learn new skills and new local friendships.
Some of the key features of the orchard are:
- Fruit orchard of apple, pear, cherry, plum and fig trees
- Food forest comprising fruit trees, berry bushes, grape vines supported by and companion plants.
- Shared allotments for volunteers & families who regularly maintain the orchard
- A communal tea and herb allotments
- Rain water harvesting system
- Composting system